Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Man jailed for infecting teen with HIV

The District Court in Perth has jailed a 37-year-old man for four years and eight months for infecting a teenage girl with HIV.

For the second time, a jury found Ronald Houghton guilty of infecting the girl by having unprotected sex with her five years ago.

His original conviction had been overturned.

Judge Paul Healy said Houghton had blighted the woman's life by what he had done.

Houghton will have to serve 32 months before he can be considered for parole.

Outside the court, his victim, who is now 23, said she had no option but to take the matter to court.

"I've never heard an apology from him at all which is all what I really wanted," she said.

"I just wanted to have someone say 'look, I'm really sorry, I did a bad thing' and just be able to get on with my life, close that door and move on."


By HIV 16 November 04