Tuesday, August 17, 2004

A life inside: Erwin James

This is my last prison column. After 20 years, I'm free. I just didn't expect it to happen with so little ceremony.

Mr Hepinstall - "Heppy" - had been a prison officer for 31 years when I first met him. He had spent most of his career in the high security system and was my first landing officer in my first long-term jail. He wasn't a big man and his chronic alopecia gave him an odd look until you got used to it, but prisoners respected him, mainly because he didn't take his job too seriously and always had time to talk to people properly. Normally it was bad form for "cons" to be seen having any more than cursory conversations with "screws". But whenever it involved Heppy, nobody seemed to mind.

I had only been on Heppy's landing for a couple of days when we had our first chat. His pleasant manner threw me to begin with as I had just spent a year on 23-hour bang-up, waiting to be allocated to that place, and my defences were still stacked high. Not only that, it was the end of the day and Heppy was locking us up for the night - hardly the best moment for a heart to heart with my jailer. I had been standing by my cell door, watching the final chaotic minutes of frantic wing activity which always precedes the day's last door-closing session (cigarette paper/tea- bag/newspaper borrowing), when Heppy approached.

"Lifer, aren't you?" he said, before I could turn my back on him. "Yes," I said. He told me how long he had been doing the job and that he was only months away from retiring. He talked about different jails he had worked in, infamous prisoners he had known and the swing of the pendulum. "Punishment, rehabilitation, punishment. Backwards. Forwards. They can't make their mind up what they want out there," he said. "But I've seen plenty come and go just like you. You're probably not thinking too far ahead right now, but the end will come eventually. And when it does the system will just spit you out," he snapped his fingers - " just like that."

I didn't spend too much time dwelling on what the old-timer had said, but I never forgot it either. Then a couple of days ago, almost 19 years after our little chat, I discovered that Heppy, bless him, had been absolutely correct.

I hadn't expected any special ceremony, but I did think that it would be the governor responsible for lifers who would preside over the formalities of my release. Which was why I froze momentarily when I went to ask what time he would want to see me and Taps, that day's house block officer, told me that he was off on annual leave. "Three weeks," he said. "But don't worry. I'll make sure you're down to see him first when he gets back."

Giving no indication of the devastating effect this news had on my earlier happy disposition I said, "Er, but I'm supposed to be getting released today."

Taps grinned and said, "I know. I'm just pulling your leg. They want you over in reception in 15 minutes."

It turned out that the governor had gone on leave, but that he didn't need to be around for me to be released.

All I had left were the clothes that I was wearing. When I walked into the brightly lit room the reception officer was waiting for me, with an SO (senior officer.) My file was on the counter, with the licence authorising my release on the top.

"Morning," said the SO. "This isn't going to take long." He passed me my licence. "Read this and sign it." It was the basic life licence: report to your probation officer at agreed times; if you change jobs, addresses ... etc. The only bit that made me wince slightly was the bit that said that the licence would remain in force "indefinitely". It didn't stop me signing though.

Once that was done the reception officer got me to sign off my property cards, acknowledging that he had nothing left in his store that belonged to me, and handed over an envelope containing £46.75 discharge grant. The whole process took no more than 10 minutes. "Right then," said the SO. "That's all we want from you. Goodbye and good luck."

"Thanks," I said. I offered him my hand and he shook it. "Thanks for your good attitude while I've been here," I said. "It was much appreciated."

"You're welcome," he said.

The gate man already had the gate open for me. On my way out I nodded at him and he nodded back. For him it was just another day. For me, 20 years of a life inside was over. And that was it. Spat out, just like Heppy said. - Erwin James will continue writing fortnightly. His column will now be called A life outside.

By Erwin James posted 17 August 04

Related:

End of years of despair as Holloway closes its doors
UK: It has housed some of Britain's most notorious women prisoners, including Moors murderer Myra Hindley, serial killer Rose West, Diana Mosley, aristocratic wife of fascist leader Oswald Mosley and, most recently, Maxine Carr, girlfriend of Soham murderer Ian Huntley.

UK Miscarriages: Loss of innocence
Can anyone comprehend what it is like to spend years in prison for a crime you didn't commit? Eric Allison tracked down those still haunted by the experience - the victims of miscarriages of justice, and their families.

Prison service 'on brink of a race crisis'
Britain's jails are plagued by a culture of racism among a hard core of officers and have been rocked by allegations that black prisoners have been made to fight white inmates, [prisoners], for the amusement of warders, according to the union chief in charge of 33,500 officers.

How detox and self-help brought suicide jail back from the brink
UK: Six suicides in 12 months made Styal prison notorious and the Prisons Ombudsman criticised the prison and its staff for serious failures. But things are changing.

Restorative Justice Practices
Restorative Justice Practices of Native American, First Nation and Other Indigenous People of North America: Part One BY LAURA MIRSKY.This is part one in a series of articles about restorative justice practices of Native American, First Nation and other indigenous people of North America.

UK: The injustice of jail
UK: Give or take Alcatraz, few prisons have a grimmer reputation than Holloway. The former chief inspector, David Ramsbotham, once declared it too disgusting to assess. Others have called the jail's cockroach-infested blocks the worst in the country. Holloway, its image pitched somewhere between Dante's Inferno and the penitentiary wing of Fawlty Towers, has never seemed a candidate for a good slammer award.

Belmarsh prisoners consider suicide, says freed man
UK: The first of the Muslim prisoners released from Belmarsh high security prison after being held on suspicion of terrorism, [scapegoats for the Coalition of the Killing's resource war's in the Middle East], has [said], his fellow prisoners are suffering such 'severe mental problems' that they constantly consider suicide.

Revolving door: Criminal Law System
UK: They are just the opposite of master criminals. Indeed, in the words of Nick Davies in his latest three-part Guardian series on the criminal justice system, [? criminal law system], their criminal careers reflect "the same muddled inadequacy as they handle the rest of their lives". They were nearly all born and raised in chaos.

How the Prison Service Works
1.Abuse and torture inmates at HMP Wormwood Scrubs
2.Take years to admit a regime of violence and torture.
3.Settle 46 claims, paying 1.7 million to prisoners.
5.Carry on as before.
4.Keep 11 of the 14 prison officers responsible in their jobs.

Prisoners must get right to vote, says court
UK: The government will be forced to lift a ban on prisoners voting dating back to 1870 after the European court of human rights ruled yesterday it breached a lifer's human rights.

Cherie calls for women to be kept out of jail
UK: Cherie Booth today launches an impassioned attack on the jailing of women, warning of a 'cycle of poverty and crime' spiralling down the generations unless more female criminals are spared prison.

Blunkett charges miscarriage of justice victims 'food and lodgings'
UK: WHAT do you give someone who's been proved innocent after spending the best part of their life behind bars, wrongfully convicted of a crime they didn't commit? An apology, maybe? Counselling? Champagne?Compensation?

Prison needle cleansing programme
The Department of Health and the Prison Service appeared to be at odds last night over a needle cleansing programme designed to protect prisoners from blood-borne infections such as HIV and hepatitis.

England tops the EU in imprisonment
England and Wales jail more offenders per capita than any other European, Union country, according to new figures. The imprisonment rate of 141 per 100,000 makes the countries the prison capital of Europe for the second year running.

Don't put mothers behind bars
If we are to arrest the soaring prison suicide rate among women, we need to look at alternative punishment.

UK Prison Abuse: Guards Holding Nooses
'We will kill you. We will get away with it... we've done it before' Prisoners tell of hanging threats by officers holding nooses.

K K K in the UK
In the documentary it is alleged an officer dressed in a Ku Klux Klan mask at a training centre in north-west England. An undercover reporter from the BBC also claimed to have taped racist comments by some officers.

Suicides and unrest have soared, admits Home Office
UK:The already overcrowded prison population is set to go on rising and will top 80,000 within the next three years, a senior Home Office civil servant warned yesterday.

My Sarah was smart and talented - Why did she die in jail?
LONDON: Sarah Campbell was just 18 when she killed herself [? committed suicide,] one of seven women to die in jail this year. Our correspondent asks why so many women kill themselves in prison [? commit suicide in prison.]